Vol 7 | Issue 2 | July-December 2021 | page: 04-08 | Yogesh Pethapara, Vishwajeet Singh, Ronak Patel
Author: Yogesh Pethapara , Vishwajeet Singh , Ronak Patel 
 Department of Orthopedics, Maruti Superspeciality Orthopaedic Hospital, Morbi, Gujarat, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Yogesh Pethapara, Maruti Superspeciality Orthopaedic Hospital, Morbi, Gujarat, India. 363641.
Background: Fractures of distal end of radius are the most common fractures among the patients treated at emergency rooms. Despite a considerable progress in medical field over the last several years, distal end of radial fracture outcomes seem to be unsatisfactory in fairly large number of cases. The aim of this study was to determine the functional outcome of hand and wrist after distal end of radius fractures managed by different treatment modalities, to determine the complications of each methods used for treatment of distal end of radius fractures, to compare anatomical outcome with functional outcome after management of fracture distal end of radius.
Methods: A clinical, observational, prospective type of study was carried out on 40 cases with fractures of distal end of radius. The fractures were classified according to AO classification. After initial evaluation patients were taken up for either conservative or operative treatment. All the cases were followed up and assessed for minimum of 6 months. Patients with complications were followed up more frequently. Results: Anatomical results were evaluated according to Sarmiento’s modification of Lindstrom Criteria. Clinical and functional results were evaluated according to demerit point system of Gartland and Werley with Sarmiento modification
Conclusions: There is direct relationship between anatomical result and functional outcome. Therefore, every effort should be made to restore normal length and alignment, as well as articular surface congruency of distal radius.
Keywords: Distal end of radius, Demerit point system of Gartland and Werley with Sarmiento modification, Sarmiento’s modification of Lindstrom Criteria, Functional evaluation
1. Sarmiento A, Pratt GW, Berry NC, Sinclair WF. Colles’ fractures, functional bracing in supination. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1975 apr;57(3)311–7.
2. Gartland JJ, Jr, Werley CW. Evaluation of healed Colles’ fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1951;oct 33-a(4)895–907.
3. Jupiter JB. Fractures of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1991 mar;73-A:461-9.
4. Van Der Linden W, Ericson R. Colles‟ fracture: how should its displacement be measured and how should it be immobilized? J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1981;63-A:1285-8.
5. Porter M, Stockley I. Fractures of the distal radius: intermediate and end results in relation to radiologic parameters. ClinOrthop 1987;220:241-52.
6. Cooney WP 3rd, Lindscheid R, Dobyns J. External pin fixation for unstable Colles‟ fracture. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1979; 61-B:840-5.
7. Solgaard S. Function after distal radius fracture. ActaOrthopaedicaScandinavica. 1988;59(1):39-42.
8. altissimi m, antenucci r, fiacca c, mancini g. Long-term Results of Conservative Treatment of Fractures of the Distal Radius. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1986;&NA;(206):202-210.
9. Baruah R, Islam M, Haque R. Immobilisation of extra-articular distal radius fractures (Colles type) in dorsiflexion. The functional and anatomical outcome. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2015;6(3):167-172.
10. Arora R, Gabl M, Erhart S, Schmidle G, Dallapozza C, Lutz M. Aspects of Current Management of Distal Radius Fractures in the Elderly Individuals. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation. 2011;2(5-6):187-194.
11. Ayhan KILIC, Yavuz KABUKCUOGLU, Ufuk OZKAYA, Murat GUL, Sami SOKUCU, Umit OZDOGAN. Volar locking plate fixation of unstable distal radius fracturesActaOrthopTraumatolTurc 2009;43(4):303-308
12. Chung, Kevin C, Watt, Andrws, Kotsis, Sandra VMPH, Margaliot, ZVI, Hase, Steven, Kim H. Myra. Treatment of unstable distal radius fractures with volar loking compression plate. The J Bone & Joint Surg 2006 Dec; 88-A(12): 2687-2694.
13. RE Anakwe, LAK Khan,RE Cook, and JE McEachan Locked volar plating for complex distal radius fractures: Patient reported outcomes and satisfaction J OrthopSurg Res. 2010; 5: 51.
14. Sanjay Meena, Pankaj Sharma, Abhishek Kumar Sambharia,1 and Ashok Dawar2 Fractures of Distal Radius: An Overview J Family Med Prim Care. 2014 Oct-Dec; 3(4): 325–332. doi: 10.4103/2249-4863.148101
|How to Cite this article: Pethapara Y, Singh V, Patel R | Radiological Assessment and Functional Outcomes of Hand and Wrist in Patients with Distal End Radius Fractures | July-December 2021; 7(2): 04-08.|