Vol 6 | Issue 2 | July-December 2020 | page: 11-14 | Petros Koutsogiannis, Jordan Fakhoury, Kanwarpaul Grewal, Gus Katsigiorgis
Authors: Petros Koutsogiannis , Jordan Fakhoury , Kanwarpaul Grewal , Gus Katsigiorgis 
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Long Island Jewish Hospital- Valley Stream, Northwell Health, New York.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Petros Koutsogiannis,
Long Island Jewish Hospital- Valley Stream, Northwell Health, New York.
This is a case report of an otherwise healthy 45-year-old male patient with a history of COVID-19, who later underwent an Anterior Cervical Spine Decompression and Fusion of level three to four for progressing neurological symptoms. The patient was readmitted eleven days postoperatively for shortness of breath and found to have a Pulmonary Embolism. The patient was at low risk for postoperative VTE, with no known current significant risk factors. He had a history of COVID-19, along with lab values and imaging that have been shown in other case series to help support the link between covid-19 and hypercoagulable state. We hope to support this hypothesis, and bring light to future larger scale studies, in order to better understand this disease and effectively create a preoperative assessment to identify such patients at risk, along with post-operative protocols for these patients having procedures in the future. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of confirmed postoperative DVT/PE in an otherwise low-risk patient, who had a history of COVID-19 with full recovery. The rarity of this complication, along with options for how to risk-stratify these patients should be formally addressed, especially in those who require urgent spine surgery. These options are discussed, reviewed, and remarks as to where further attention and research is needed is addressed.
Keywords: Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion; COVID-19; Pulmonary Embolism.
1. Smith GW, Robinson RA. The treatment of certain cervical-spine disorders by anterior removal of the intervertebral disc and interbody fusion. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1958;40-A(3):607-624.
2. Garvey TA, Transfeldt EE, Malcolm JR, Kos P. Outcome of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion as perceived by patients treated for dominant axial-mechanical cervical spine pain. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27(17):1887-1895. doi:10.1097/00007632-200209010-00015
3. Riew KD, Ecker E, Dettori JR. Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for the management of axial neck pain in the absence of radiculopathy or myelopathy. Evid Based Spine Care J. 2010;1(3):45-50. doi:10.1055/s-0030-1267067
4. Yee TJ, Swong K, Park P. Complications of anterior cervical spine surgery: a systematic review of the literature. J Spine Surg. 2020;6(1):302-322. doi:10.21037/jss.2020.01.14
5. Sebastian AS, Currier BL, Clarke MJ, Larson D, Huddleston PM 3rd, Nassr A. Thromboembolic Disease after Cervical Spine Surgery: A Review of 5,405 Surgical Procedures and Matched Cohort Analysis. Global Spine J. 2016;6(5):465-471. doi:10.1055/s-0035-1569056
6. Oglesby, Matthew, BA*; Fineberg, Steven J., MD*; Patel, Alpesh A., MD†; Pelton, Miguel A., BS‡; Singh, Kern, MD§ The Incidence and Mortality of Thromboembolic Events in Cervical Spine Surgery, Spine: April 20, 2013 – Volume 38 – Issue 9 – p E521-E527 doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e3182897839
7. Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2020;395(10229):1054-1062.
8. Zhao W, Zhong Z, Xie X, Yu Q, Liu J. Relation Between Chest CT Findings and Clinical Conditions of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Pneumonia: A Multicenter Study. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2020;214(5):1072-1077. doi:10.2214/AJR.20.22976
9. Lippi G, Favaloro EJ. D-dimer is Associated with Severity of Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Pooled Analysis. Thromb Haemost. 2020;120(5):876-878. doi:10.1055/s-0040-1709650
10. Han H, Yang L, Liu R, et al. Prominent changes in blood coagulation of patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020;58(7):1116-1120. doi:10.1515/cclm-2020-0188
11. World Health Organization. WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 11 March 2020. Available online at https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/whodirector-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19—11-march-2020, Accessed date: 23 October 2020.
12. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html, Accessed date: 23 October 2020.
13. Tang N, Bai H, Chen X, et al. Anticoagulant treatment is associated with decreased mortality in severe coronavirus disease 2019 patients with coagulopathy. J Thromb Haemost Mar 27 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14817
14. Parvizi, Javad MD, FRCS1,a; Ceylan, Hasan H. MD2; Kucukdurmaz, Fatih MD2; Merli, Geno MD3; Tuncay, Ibrahim MD2; Beverland, David MD4 Venous Thromboembolism Following Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: June 7, 2017 – Volume 99 – Issue 11 – p 961-972 doi: 10.2106/JBJS.16.01253
15. Yin G, Ni B. Acute postoperative cervical spinal epidural hematoma. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2014;48(4):437-442. doi:10.3944/AOTT.2014.13.0133
16. Cox JB, Weaver KJ, Neal DW, Jacob RP, Hoh DJ. Decreased incidence of venous thromboembolism after spine surgery with early multimodal prophylaxis: Clinical article. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014;21(4):677-684. doi:10.3171/2014.6.SPINE13447
17. Zhang Y, Xiao M, Zhang S, et al. Coagulopathy and Antiphospholipid Antibodies in Patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(17):e38. doi:10.1056/NEJMc2007575
18. Bilaloglu S, Aphinyanaphongs Y, Jones S, Iturrate E, Hochman J, Berger JS. Thrombosis in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19 in a New York City Health System. JAMA. 2020;324(8):799–801. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.13372
19. Griffin DO, Jensen A, Khan M, et al. Pulmonary Embolism and Increased Levels of D-Dimer in Patients with Coronavirus Disease. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2020;26(8):1941-1943. doi:10.3201/eid2608.201477.
|How to Cite this article: Koutsogiannis P, Fakhoury J, Grewal K, Katsigiorgis G | Pulmonary Embolism as a Complication Following Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion in a Patient with a History of COVID-19: A Case Report and Literature Review | Trauma International | July-December 2020; 6(2): 11-14.|