Vol 8 | Issue 2 | July-December 2022 | page: 00-00 | Amit Yadav, Sagar Bansal, Mrinal Kambli, Shaswat Mishra, Devenshu Gupta
Authors: Amit Yadav , Sagar Bansal , Mrinal Kambli , Shaswat Mishra , Devenshu Gupta 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Grant Medical College and Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals, Byculla, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr Sagar Bansal,
Senior Resident, Department of Orthopaedics, Grant Medical College and Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals, Byculla, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. E-mail: email@example.com
Background: Radial head fractures are quite common with incidence 1.5-4% of all adult fractures. The management of these fractures depends upon age and type of injury
Aim: To compare the outcome in comminuted radial head fractures(Mason type III) based on mayo elbow scoring and handgrip strength test when managed with radial head excision, radial head fixation or radial head replacement
Material and Methods: We did a prospective comparative study comprising 60 patients between age 20-60 years with Mason type III radial head fractures. The patients were randomised using the admission day of the week placing 20 patients each in arthroplasty , excision and in the fixation group. The patients were followed up for 18-24 months postoperatively. Results were evaluated by the Mayo’s elbow performance and Handgrip strength score at 6 months and 18 months and were statistically evaluated by one-way ANOVA test.
Results: As per Mayo’s score at 6 months follow up, mean and standard deviation (SD) of the scores in arthroplasty was 83.25 and 11.50, for excision it was 76.25 and 11.38 & for fixation, it was 68.75 and 17.83 respectively. At 18 months follow up, mean and standard deviation was 90 and 12.56 for arthroplasty, 83 and 9.92 for excision & 76.25 and 21.69 for fixation respectively. As per handgrip strength score at 6 months follow up, mean and standard deviation of the scores in arthroplasty was 31.1 and 4.37, for excision it was 28.75 and 4.27 & for fixation, it was 27.15 and 5.94 respectively. At 18 months follow up, mean and standard deviation was 32.95 and 4.006 for arthroplasty, 30.7 and 4.06 for excision & 28 and 6.75 for fixation respectively. The difference between the results according to both Mayo’s score as well as Handgrip strength test was statistically significant (p < 0.05).
Conclusion: Our study shows that long and short-term results of radial head replacement are better than radial head excision and radial head fixation in comminuted radial head fractures based on mayo elbow scoring and hand grip strength score.
Keywords: Radial head fracture, Radial head replacement, Mason classification
1. Duckworth AD, Clement ND, Jenkins PJ, Aitken SA, Court-Brown CM, McQueen MM (2012) The epidemiology of radial head and neck fractures. J Hand Surg Am 37(5):112–119.
2. Broberg MA, Morrey BF. Results of treatment of fracture-dislocations of the elbow. Clin Orthop. 1987;216:109-19.
3. Mason ML. Some observations on fractures of the head of the radius with a review of one hundred cases. Br J Surg. 1954;42:123-32.
4. Johnston GW. A follow-up of one hundred cases of fracture of the head of the radius with a review of the literature. Ulster Med J. 1962; 31:51-6.
5. Putz R, Milz S, Maier M, Boszczyk A. Functional morphology of the elbow joint. Orthopade. 2003; 32:684-90. 6. Kapandji IA. The Physiology of the Joints. Vol. 1. Edinburgh, London: E&S Livingstone, 1970:84.
7. Ring, David MD; Psychoyios, Vasilis N. MD; Chin, Kingsley R. MD; Jupiter, Jesse B. MD Nonunion of Nonoperatively Treated Fractures of the Radial Head, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research: May 2002 – Volume 398 – Issue – p 235-238.
8. Yamaguchi K, Sweet FA, Bindra R, Morrey BF, Gelberman RH: The extraosseous and intraosseous arterial anatomy of the adult elbow. J Bone Joint Surg 79A:1653–1662, 1997.
9. Singh AK, Jidge A, Ramteke U, Venkateswaran N, Rokade H, Mulje SM, Mukherjee S, Kotian A. Functional Outcome of Elbow Kinematics in Radial Head Excision Versus Radial Head Replacement: A Comparative Study. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2019 May 15;7(9):1505-1508.
10. Beingessner DM, Dunning CE, Gordon KD, Johnson JA, King GJ. The effect of radial head excision and arthroplasty on elbow kinematics and stability. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 Aug;86(8):1730-9.
11. Ikeda M, Sugiyama K, Kang C, Takagaki T, Oka Y. Comminuted fractures of the radial head: comparison of resection and internal fixation. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Mar;88 Suppl 1 Pt 1:11-23.
12. Swensen SJ, Tyagi V, Uquillas C, Shakked RJ, Yoon RS, Liporace FA. Maximizing outcomes in the treatment of radial head fractures. J Orthop Traumatol. 2019 Mar 23;20(1):15.
13. Sun H, Duan J, Li F. Comparison between radial head arthroplasty and open reduction and internal fixation in patients with radial head fractures (modified Mason type III and IV): a meta-analysis. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2016 Apr;26(3):283-91.
14. Sinha S, Sarkar S, Singh A, Saraf SK, Rastogi A, Singh T. Radial Head Arthroplasty, Excision and Osteosynthesis in Complex Elbow Fracture-Dislocations in Young Adults: What is Preferred? Indian J Orthop. 2020 May 18;54(Suppl 2):260-269.
15. Heim U.[Combined fractures of the radius and the ulna at the elbow level in the adult. Analysis of 120 cases after more than 1 year]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1998 Apr;84(2):142-53.
16. Ring D, Quintero J, Jupiter JB. Open reduction and internal fixation of fractures of the radial head. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002 Oct;84(10):1811-5.
17. Herbertsson P, Josefsson PO, Hasserius R, Besjakov J, Nyqvist F, Karlsson MK. Fractures of the radial head and neck treated with radial head excision. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 Sep;86(9):1925-30.
18. Shetty SK, Shetty A, Balan B, Ballal A, Rai HR, Hegde A. Excision Versus Fixation of the Radial Head: A Comparative Study of the Functional Outcomes of the Two Techniques. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Feb;11(2):RC01-RC03.
19. Bain GI, Ashwood N, Baird R, Unni R. Management of Mason type-III radial head fractures with a titanium prosthesis, ligament repair, and early mobilization. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Mar;87 Suppl 1(Pt 1):136-47.
|How to Cite this article: Yadav A, Bansal S, Kambli M, Mishra S, Gupta D | A Comparative Study showing Elbow Kinematics in Radial Head Replacement Versus Radial Head Excision Versus Radial Head Fixation | July-December 2022; 8(2): 00-00.|