Vol 8 | Issue 1 | January-June 2022 | page: 01-05 | Sanjay Chhawra, Raman Jain, Gaganpreet Singh, Amrit Kumar, Ravi Diresala
Authors: Sanjay Chhawra , Raman Jain , Gaganpreet Singh , Amrit Kumar , Ravi Diresala 
 Department of Orthopedics, Jaipur Golden Hospital, Rohini, Delhi, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Sanjay Chhawra
Department of Orthopedics, Jaipur Golden Hospital, Rohini, Delhi, India.
Background: Orthopaedic surgeons always stress the need for a proper implant patient match in trauma surgery. The implant incongruity causes discomfort inaccurate load sharing aseptic loosening. The present study was undertaken to get an interpretation of implant size as a template preoperatively to be used to prevent radiation during surgery decrease surgical complications by decreasing surgical time and get abundance availability of implant stock.
Materials and Methods: Qualitative data collection These data were collected from operated cases last 2 years of trauma cases
Results: The coin technique, preoperatively nail measurement, and the average length of the implant was collected to get an interpretation of implant size as template preoperatively to be used in trauma fixation abetted to decrease surgical time and radiation exposure.
Conclusions: Pre-operative measurement making template of intramedullary devices extramedullary devices by coin technique, preoperatively nail measurement and using mean data of operated cases reduces surgical time helped in reducing surgical complication and radiation exposure.
Keywords: Template, Radiation exposure, Implant measurement
1. Camilla Bergh, David Wennergren, Michael Moller, Helena Brisby Fracture incidence in adults in relation to age and gender: A study of 27,169 fractures in the Swedish Fracture Register in a well-defined catchment area https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0244291.t002.
2. Hang Cheng, MSc, Jeffrey W. Clymer, PhD, Brian Po-Han Chen, ScM, Behnam Sadeghirad PhD, Nicole C. Ferko, MSc, Chris G. Cameron, PhD, and Piet Hinoul, MD Prolonged operative duration is associated with complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.03.022.
3. P. Blachut Radiation exposure in orthopaedic trauma surgery Orthopaedic Proceedings VOLUME 90-B, ISSUE SUPP_III / AUGUST 2008.
4. Roman A Hayda 1, Raymond Y Hsu, J Mason De Passe, Joseph A Gil Radiation Exposure and Health Risks for Orthopaedic Surgeons DOI: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-16-00342 J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2018 Apr 15;26(8):268-277.
5. Rodica Marinescu, Diana Popescu, Dan Laptoiu A Review on 3D-Printed Templates for Precontouring Fixation Plates in Orthopedic Surgery J. Clin. Med. 2020, 9, 2908; doi:10.3390/jcm9092908.
6. Hansjoerg Heep,1 Jie Xu,2 Christian Löchteken,1 and Christian Wedemeyer1 A simple and convenient method guide to determine the magnification of digital X-rays for preoperative planning in total hip arthroplasty Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2012 Jan 2; 4(1): e12. doi: 10.4081/or. 2012.e12.
7. Accurate scaling of digital radiographs of the pelvis. A prospective trial of two methods S Wimsey 1, R Pickard, G Shaw J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006 Nov;88(11):1508-12. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.88B11.18017.\
8. Conn KS, Clarke MT, Hallett JP. A simple guide to determine the magniﬁcation of radiographs and to improve the accuracy of pre-operative templating. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2002;84-B:269-72.
9. Renjit Thomas Issac a, Hitesh Gopalan, Mathew Abraham, Cherian John, Sujith Mathew Issac , Diju Jacob R.T. Issac et al. Preoperative determination of tibial nail length: An anthropometric study / Chinese Journal of Traumatology 19 (2016) 151-155 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cjtee.2016.03.003.
10. Monappa A Naik,1 Premjit Sujir,1 Sujit Kumar Tripathy,2 Tarun Goyal,3 Sharath K Rao1 Correlation between the forearm plus little finger length and the femoral length Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2013;21(2):163-6.
11. Eran Keltz, MD Daniel Dreyfuss, MD Eyal Ginesin, MD Nabil Ghrayeb, MD Nir Hous, MD Nirit Yavnai, DMD, MPH Doron Norman, MD Ido Stahl, MD Preoperative Evaluation of Intramedullary Tibial Nail Measurements—A Review of the Literature and a New Technique Using Contralateral Radiographs and Digital Planning JAAOS Glob Res Rev 2019;3: e015 DOI: 10.5435/ JAAOSGlobal-D-19-00015.
12. Nazir AA, Alazzawi S, Mahur K, Roy WS Estimation of femoral length for intramedullary nail using forearm as reference Orthopaedic Proceedings Vol. 91-B, No. SUPP_I 37.
|How to Cite this article: Chhawra S, Jain R, Singh G, Kumar A | Preoperative Measurement of Screw Nail Length to Make Template for Surgery to Decrease Radiation Exposure and Surgical Time | January-June 2022; 8(1): 01-05.|