Vol 7 | Issue 2 | July-December 2021 | page: 15-17 | Brijesh Sharma, Yajuvendra Kumar Sharma, Rohit Yadav, Chandra Prakash Pal
Author: Brijesh Sharma , Yajuvendra Kumar Sharma , Rohit Yadav , Chandra Prakash Pal 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Sarojini Naidu Medical College, Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Chandra Prakash Pal,
Professor and Head, Department of Orthopaedics, Sarojini Naidu Medical College, Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Introduction: Anterior or posterior dislocation of hip are usually associated with fracture head of femur but dislocations associated with femoral neck, trochanter and shaft are very rare and among this anterior dislocation of hip with ipsilateral fracture of shaft femur is an extremely rare injury. We reported a case of anterior dislocation of hip associated with ipsilateral fracture shaft femur upper third in adult male.
Case presentation: A 25 yrs male, low socioeconomic status was brought to our emergency department was conscious but unable to mobilize his right lower limb and external rotation deformity was present with some shortening. No neurovascular compromise and was found fracture shaft femur along with anterior dislocation of right hip on x-ray and treated by close reduction of femoral head and internal fixation of fracture shaft femur by intramedullary nail.
Conclusion: Early diagnosis of hip dislocation is essential to prevent avascular necrosis of femur head in future. We concluded that there is no need of open reduction for anterior hip dislocation in every such case. Close reduction of anterior dislocation of hip followed by femur interlocking for femoral shaft fracture is good option for management for such type of injuries.
Keywords: Hip dislocation, Close reduction, Avascular necrosis, Fracture dislocation
1. Sahin V, Karaks ES; Aksu S, Atlihan D et al (2003) Traumatic dislocation and fracture-dislocation of the hip: a long term follow-up study. J Trauma 54:520–529
2. Alexa O, Puha B, Veliceasa B, Paduraru D. Posterior dislocation of the hip associated with ipsilateral trochanteric fracture-a very rare case.Chirurgia (Bucharest, Romania : 1990) [01 Nov 2009, 104(6):761-764].
3. K Yamamoto, M Ko, T Masaoka, T Shishido, A Imakiire traumatic anterior dislocation of hip associated with ipsilateral femoral shaft fracture in a child: A case report. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2004;12(1):126–132
4. Malkawi H. Traumatic anterior dislocation of hip with fracture of shaft of the ipsilateral femur in children: case report and review of the literature. J Pediatrorthop. 1982 Aug;2(3):307-11.
5. Barquet A. Traumatic hip dislocation with fracture of ipsilateral femoral shaft in childhood.Report of a case and review of literature.ArchOrthop Trauma Surg. 1981;98(1):69-72.
6. Chirag TN et al., Traumatic dislocation of hip with ipsilateral femur shaft fracture – A case report. Journal of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation / January 2011/ vol.1/issue 1.
7. Helal and X. Skevis. Unrecognized dislocation of the hip in fractures of the femoral shaft. Vol. 49B. 2, may1967.
8. sidhasimbandan, obturator dislocation of hip associated with fracture shaft of femur Singapore: case report; medical journal volume 23, NO 5, October 1986.
9. Watson – jones R: Fracture and joint injuries. 4th ed. Baltimore: The Williams and Wilkins Co, 1955;2:678-81.
|How to Cite this article: Sharma B, Sharma YK, Yadav R, Pal CP | Adult Traumatic Eight Days Old Anterior Dislocation of the Hip with Ipsilateral Fracture Upper Third Shaft Femur: An Atypical Case Report | July-December 2021; 7(2): 15-17.|